Kynar® PVDF is a fluorinated semi-crystalline thermoplastic which is obtained by polymerising vinylidene fluoride (VF2).
Homopolymer Kynar® PVDF, without any additives, has the intrinsic stability inherent to fluoropolymers, even when exposed to harsh environments. It provides the user with a unique combination of properties leading to longer equipment life.
The most important properties of Kynar® PVDF are:
- Excellent chemical resistance to most aggressive substances and solvents
- Excellent mechanical strength and toughness
- High abrasion resistance
- High temperature capabilities: continuous use service temperature up to 150°C
- Excellent ageing resistance
- High purity
- Resistance to UV and nuclear radiations
- Excellent intrinsic fire resistance
- Low permeability to most gases and liquids
- Easily melt-processed by standard methods of extrusion and moulding
- Wide range of rigid and flexible grades available
Besides the PVDF homopolymers, Arkema also produces a large range of VF2- HFP copolymers called Kynar Flex® which stand out for their higher flexibility (the higher the HFP content, the higher the flexibility), a large range of melting point (from 117-166°C).
Kynar® PVDF and Kynar Flex® properties
Kynar® grades exhibit outstanding chemical resistance to most acids & halogens and a low permeability to most gases & liquids
Strength and Toughness
KYNAR® and KYNAR FLEX® PVDF fluoropolymers are inherently strong and tough as reflected by their tensile properties and impact strength.
Flexural and Tensile Creep
Compared to many thermoplastics, KYNAR® fluoropolymers have excellent resistance to tensile creep and fatigue so that KYNAR® resins are suitable for many applications in which load bearing characteristics are important.
KYNAR® resins exhibit high thermal stability: Prolonged exposure of KYNAR® resin at 250°C does not lead to weight loss. No oxidative or thermal degradation has been detected during continuous exposure of KYNAR® resins to 150°C for a period of ten years.
KYNAR® homopolymer resins are thermally stable up to 375°C when heated in air at the rate of 5°C/min.
Loading, please wait